Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The answer my friend...

There is the old Indian debate about arranged marriages vs love marriages. I always think it is a stupid debate...I mean, you do not decide you want a love marriage, and then go out looking for ways to get into one...if you do, it is probably more arranged than love...but there is another more interesting debate....is it a good idea to do the running-away-from-home thing to marry someone you want to marry?...how much is the 'love-of-your-life' thing really worth?

Love is a way too overrated emotion. It was the supposed grand solution to all of 20th century woes...perhaps like religion was before that...and its likely to continue that way...mainly through lack of competion...'I stand alone without beliefs, The only truth I know is you.'...how simple and comforting...to put your faith in 'you'...some you...

But if you have to do something for the 'you'...how far is it a good idea to go?...to damage relationship with your family, etc etc?....especially if their objections are the pointless ones...like community, religion, etc?....I think at this point it has nothing to do with the love thingie....it is about the type of person you are...if you are the pragmatic type, maybe you would not really want all that trouble...if you are the rebel, you might just go ahead and do it for the kick, and for the inevitable round of envy and applause...

I guess I am too cynical....yeah, I am...but then, life is a bore, and if you expect you will find someone who will make it endlessly exciting for you...well, good luck to you, and you will be the first ;) ....

I met someone today who wanted a) to do a PhD, b) marry someone he/she loves...and the family does not agree on either option...my advise would be...do both if you can...but drop the person if you have a choice, and go for the PhD...for a broken heart will mend...but a job you don't like...that really really sucks....

No comments: